Monday 9 May 2011

Thor Review

I know absolutely nothing about the Avengers story line or that of Thor.  So I don't know if this movie is true to the comics or not.  I'm guessing that, if Stan Lee is so close to these projects now, it probably is.  I do know one thing though.  This movie is very good.  I saw it in both 3D and Ultra AVX so that did enhance the experience somewhat.  3D wasn't really worth it but the AVX sound was better than just good.  It was spectacular.

The special effects are second to none too.  Visually, Thor is a real treat.  The earth scenes are really nothing too spectacular but the stuff that takes place in the other realms is beautiful to watch.  Even the fact that the costumes seem a little too over the top for my taste.  I chalk that up to the comic book factor.

Overall, the acting is surprisingly quite solid.  There are a couple of cheesy deliveries by Natalie Portman but she was the victim of a writer who I would guess thought it was good enough.  But the rest of the cast does a very good job; especially Tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba.  And I had never even heard of Chris Hemsworth before.  He's perfectly cast.  He's got the look for a superhero and can deliver a line well too.  Overall, there is just enough comic relief to keep it light and just enough drama to make you relate.  I could have used maybe one more action or fight scene but I think I just wanted to feel my hair shake a little more from the sound.  The only real complaint I may have is that the Destroyer looked and acted like it was just ripped off from the Day the Earth Stood Still.

If you are a comic book fan, you don't need me to tell you to see it.  You probably already have.  But, for everyone else, see it.  The action will entertain even the most hardcore action junkie and the morality play part of it should keep everyone else entertained as well.  And spend the extra money for the Ultra AVX if its available.  But save your money on the 3D option.

No comments:

Post a Comment