Tuesday 17 May 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Review

I know, I know.  We've all seen it.  So why would I bother again?  I want to watch the fourth one and so I'm going to watch the first three.  I remember this movie being better eight years ago.  Watching it this time I noticed that, while it is a well shot movie with a really good story, there are a couple of things missing.

First, it is not well written.  They never properly explain why they need Bootstrap Bill's blood.  Or, if they do, it's done in a confusing way.  Something that important should not have to be googled after the fact.  Second, the acting is pretty bad.  Even Geoffrey Rush gives a hackneyed performance.  I expect sub par from Orlando Bloom, but not Rush.  With the exception of Depp's lunatic actions and the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern pirates, the acting is quite poor.  Third, it is too long.  They could have easily trimmed 30 minutes here and there and kept my interest better.

But, the film does have some very cool effects with the undead pirates.  While the skeletons do move a bit jerky-like, it is forgivable because of the sheer scale of effects needed.  And, it was eight years ago after all.  All in all, it is a decent and fun swashbuckling story.

My official recommendation is to see it because you need to to watch the franchise.  But, let's face it, if you haven't already seen it, you aren't interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment