Saturday 21 May 2011

Muppets From Space Review

I now know what I want to do with my life.  I want to be an actor and get just enough fame to be asked to be in a Muppets movie.  They all look like they're having a blast.  There is only one word to describe this movie: fun.  From all other standpoints, it is a pretty bad film.  It isn't well acted, well written or even well shot.  It's very obviously shot in a sound studio and not on location.  But could you imagine trying to shoot Muppets on location?  It would be a nightmare.

The story isn't much and it is quite thin.  The whole thing is about Gonzo finding his roots.  As he's doing so, he winds up being kidnapped by a government agency looking for Extra Terrestrial life.  It is here where a lot of the funny stuff happens.  Jeffrey Tambor is perfect for his role and the bumbling bear is quite good.  The crazy brain doctor, on the other hand, reminded me eerily of my American Studies professor from college.  So I found that a little disturbing.

Ignore the fact that it has the thin story and poor acting though and you get what you expect: pure, unadulterated, Muppet fun.  And that's really all you want for the time you invest in it.  While it does have a little too much of some of my less favourite Muppets (Rizzo and Pepe), you get classic Muppet deadpan humour that you will repeat to your friends.  If that's what you want, see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment