Tuesday 14 June 2011

Hell Comes to Frogtown Review

Well, what can I say?  It was Darren's choice for movie night and this is what he picked.  I actually considered not reviewing it so I wouldn't have to admit I watched it :-).  I sure hope they were trying to make a comedy B-movie with little to no cinematic value because that's what they ended up with.  It's a post-apocalyptic story about a libidinous guy named Sam Hell who's tasked with rescuing five fertile women from mutant frog people in order to impregnate them and perpetuate the species.  The fact that Hell is played by former pro wrestler Roddy Piper should indicate the quality of the movie.  His in ring performances were more convincing.

The script is bad.  The effects are bad (even for 1988).  The acting is bad.  Everything about this movie is bad.  That's probably why it got a bit of a cult following and even spawned some sequels.  I can see why it got that following.  It is one of those films that is so bad that it can entertaining.  The only redeeming quality is that it supplies ample fodder for you and your buddies to sit around and make fun of it.  And that's exactly what we did for almost 90 minutes.

Even though it does have that little bit of entertainment value, I cannot, in good conscience, give this any kind of a see recommendation.  Even though we all laughed quite a bit, it was mostly at each others jokes and the absolute absurdity of some of the happenings on the screen.  It was not due to any clever dialogue or anything like that.  I did spend my time feeling quite sorry for the film makers because, as one member of movie group mentioned, nobody sets out to make bad movies.  But sometimes they just come out that way.  Don't see it.  It just isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment