Wednesday 22 June 2011

The American Review

I wanted to see this when I first heard of it.  After all, what's not to like?  George Clooney plays a spy who wants out of the game and there's espionage in Europe.  Sounds like my kind of movie.  I didn't get to see it when it was in the theatre and now I know why.  It was just too boring and uninteresting to make it past a couple of weeks.  I knew it wasn't an action film but I thought it might actually go somewhere.  The film starts off confusing and doesn't let go.  Right from the shot of the train station sign saying "Munich" and him being inexplicably in Italy, this movie is really not good.

Clooney does give a decent performance.  He is a professional and a good actor after all.  But I think the director and writer may have been on a large dose of valium for this one.  All it really is is Clooney brooding and walking around.  What little dialogue there is is unintelligible and bounces from Italian to English and back too much.  Any character development stalls before it gets going.  For example, the priest is completely unnecessary.

If you want to watch George Clooney, watch either O, Brother, Where Art Thou? or Ocean's 11.  If you want international intrigue, the Bourne movies or even the Statement will do.  But, whatever you do, do not watch this movie unless you are having trouble sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment