Sunday 19 June 2011

Cedar Rapids Review

This movie was not at all what I expected.  I thought I was going to get something a bit more "awe shucks" and heartwarming like Tommy Boy or even Paul Blart.  The poster is very misleading.  It makes it look like a delightful romp in the same vein as the Vacation movies.  Instead, I got a dark cross between the heartwarming story and The Goods and Pineapple Express.  I'm not upset.  I was just taken aback a bit.  Ed Helms plays a small town insurance agent who goes to a conference in the "big city" of Cedar Rapids and finds out about the seedy underbelly of the business and life in general.  It's a coming of age story in a sense but with the main character being much older than you would typically find.  That, in essence is the comedic hook.

The movie is funny.  The crude humour did add a bit to it.  Without that, it would have lost its legs quite quickly.  Instead, it was able to push the envelope a little further and keep me entertained for the whole length of the movie.  The acting performances are quite well done.  Nobody is too over the top and they all seem quite real with the exception of John C Reilly.  He can only play one character: the over the top jackass friend.  While he may be typecast, he does play it well.  I get tired of most one trick ponies quickly (ie. Zack Galifinakis (sp), Will Ferrell, etc.).  But Reilly, for some reason, doesn't grate on me as much.,  And, in this film, he's quite funny even if his character is the only unbelievable one.

The rest of the movie is really nothing to write home about.  There's nothing really surprising.  It also has quite an indie feel to it that would turn off the masses.  I guess the only word that can fully describe it is "average."  It isn't great but it also isn't terrible.  If you're looking for a little entertainment with a bit of an edge but nothing as out there as the Hangover, you may want to watch it.  Otherwise, don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment