Wednesday 30 March 2011

True Grit (2010) Review

I guess I should have known better.  After all, I normally do not like movies that have a precocious, courageous child as the hero.  And this is no exception.  I just couldn't get on board with the 14 year old girl (I even forgot her name).  While I have been a fan of the Cohen Brothers' movies in the past, I actually thought this one fell kind of flat.  The movie moves along at a snail's pace and never seems to get going until the halfway point.  And, just when it seems it's going to take off, it grinds to a halt again.

I also feel that the Cohen Brothers did the wrong thing when writing this for the screen.  The entire script is mind-numbingly incomprehensible.  It's like they tried to write a Shakespearean western.  It was literally mind-numbing as I often found myself either drifting off or thinking about nothing.  Add to that the over the top drunken acting of Jeff Bridges and I couldn't really follow the dialogue at all.  Note to Mr. Bridges: you are hard enough to understand with your normal voice.  You don't have to add the marbles to make that character convincing.

Anyways, there were some good things about the movie.  It was very well shot and the acting (with the exception of Bridges), was quite good.  They just didn't have the great script to work with.  I still don't know why this got such great Oscar acclaim.

I'd say don't see it.  There's too many better westerns out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment