Tuesday 6 December 2011

Larry Crowne Review

I can honestly say that this movie, more than any other, was marketed truthfully.  Many times, you see ads and trailers for a movie and then, when you go see the actual film, you think you're watching something completely different.  With Larry Crowne, there are no surprises.  The marketing advertised it as a feel good, get a second chance and find yourself movie and that's exactly what it is.  While I wouldn't say it's brilliant or anything like that, it is adequate.

As usual, Tom Hanks is decent.  While not his strongest performance, there is really nothing bad about it.  And, while I'm not a Julia Roberts fan, she is decent in it too.  In fact, overall, the acting is OK.  I did have a beef with some of the characters though.  While I felt we were supposed to be focused and interested in the development of Hanks' and Roberts' characters, there was a little too much quirkiness in the secondary ones.  This really draws your attention away from the point of the film.  On the flip side of that, it is that quirkiness that leads to the main character development.  While I'm not sure how you would go about fixing this, it is a contradiction that I didn't really feel worked to its full potential.

Honestly, I don't know what recommendation to give this one.  It isn't a movie that will blow you away even though it has some very good actors.  But if you like Nia Vardalos' work as a writer, you may enjoy it.  I'm glad I watched it but have no desire to see it again.  So, when I get that feeling, I usually say see it and judge it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment