Saturday 27 August 2011

Chocolat Review

I expected something a bit different.  I thought this movie would be much more a romance than it actually is.  It's really a drama about a woman and a town dealing with their own demons and growth.  So I'd say I was pleasantly surprised.  Even if it isn't much more than Footloose in 1950s France, it's a well made movie and a very good story.  I expected more Johnny Depp.  I actually thought it was a movie centred around him.  But his character is actually very minor.  That's not to say that it isn't important.  Depp's character needs to be in the movie.  Add to that there is less of an emphasis on Juliette Binoche than one would expect and you get very much an ensemble piece.  The acting performance that really stands out though is Alfred Molina.  He always plays the tool in a movie and he does this one very well.

Don't get me wrong.  This film is definitely targeted at the female audience.  It is very much a tragic, romantic drama in places.  But there are a handful of places where I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of the antics and lines.  The viewer does have to go in expecting to invest two hours that, at times, can feel more like three.  You have to go in expecting a slow pace where a lot of the story develops visually.

See it.  It is an exceptionally acted and filmed movie around a solid story.  Just make sure you are in a bit of a melancholic mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment