Monday 29 August 2011

30 Minutes or Less Review

I chose this over the new Planet of the Apes movie because I had a sad day and wanted a laugh.  I did laugh so it was successful.  But ...

This is what would happen if you got a bunch of ADHD cases to try and write Pineapple Express.  Like Pineapple Express, 30 Minutes or Less is about slackers, morons and Danny McBrides doing crazy shit and saying funny things.  However, Pineapple Express is witty, original and well acted.  It's kind of weird.  There are times when I found myself laughing like Jack Gallo on Just Shoot Me (not nearly as much as the "lady" behind me who brought her child to see an 18A rated movie and, in turn, do her part to help ensure that mankind is a cesspool of morons and ne'er-do-wells in 20 years - but I digress).  But it is interspersed with the most wooden dialogue I've seen in a mainstream comedy for quite some time.

When you combine that with the fact that not one of the actors in this movie gives a good performance, you have a movie that is difficult to watch in spite of itself.  The best performance came from Nick Swardson of all people.  That should tell you just how bad everyone else is.  At times, it felt like I was watching a bunch of teenagers recite their favourite movie one-liners without context.

This movie is less than an hour and a half long and it still completely lost my attention.  Like I said, it has some laugh out loud lines and antics but they aren't enough to save it from how bad the rest of it is.  Furthermore, for some inexplicable reason, they try to bring some morality into it closer to the end.  By then, I was so bored with the wooden acting that I just wanted it to end so I could open my Blogger account and tell you not to see it.

Don't see it.  It isn't worth your time or money.  If you have a comedy that consistently makes you laugh, watch that.

No comments:

Post a Comment