Wednesday 4 April 2012

The Core Commentary

In the interests of full disclosure, I have seen this movie twice now.  The first time I saw it was back when it came out.  I thought it was a poor attempt then and I think it was a poor attempt now.  I really cannot find any redeeming qualities for this film.  it is full of very good actors and all of them underperform.  Any attempt at being dramatic comes off as just plain cheesy.  Any attempt at humour falls flat.  The best performance came from Delroy Lindo and it was just average.

Disaster movies are almost always disappointing.  I think it's because we secretly want the world to be destroyed in them.  It never is.  That's just a "rule" of cinema.  The ending has to be a net positive.  But that isn't the only thing that makes The Core a disappointment.  The production value of this film is downright bad.  Even nine years ago when it was made, the effects were ancient.  They look like something more akin to Fantastic Voyage than a fairly big budget 21st century action/disaster movie.  The sets were bad and had no real lifelike look to them.  The film is also very poorly researched with anything technical.  That whole thing with getting unlimited long distance in a phone by sending some sound frequency to it made me want to scream in frustration.  Everyone involved with that scene in any way right down to the guy who sold them the comb should be very ashamed of themselves.  And that's just one example.

So, you're probably wondering why I watched it a second time.  I thought there was no way that it was as bad as I remember.  And Karl was pushing to watch it for a while so I thought what the hell.  Well, it was just as bad.  But there is a redeeming quality.  It gives you over two hours to make jokes with your friends.  And that part of it was fun.

Did I mention I thought this movie was really bad?  Don't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment